Sunday, July 11, 2010

Welcome home baby boy-5 days old

At 11am this morning we got the ok from both my Dr and the pediatrician that we could be released. I was both excited and nervous to get home. Dh started to bring my bags to the car, I am embarrassed to admit it took him three trips lol. He warned me that the temperature outside was at a all time high of 100 + degrees. I couldn't believe I was about to go from our freezing hospital room that was stuck at 65 degrees to 100+ degree weather outside. I had packed a long sleeve shirt and pants outfit for Jack to go home in. I wondered if I should still dress him in it, but decided that he needed to be on the warmer side and the car was going to be air conditioned. So I began to dress him. This outfit that I had bought him before he was born seemed so small then. Now as I put it on my tiny peanut it was huge on him! So big that I could not keep the pants on him. He looked so silly in this over sized shirt and no pants but I had no back up so off we went!

Dh went to get the car and they wheeled me down to the front lobby. I saw him in the lobby holding Jack's car seat and with that the nurse helped me up from the wheelchair and was on her way. Just like that we were on our own. I have to be honest it was pretty freaking scary. Am I ready for this? Can we do this without the nurses? We began trying to get Jack into his car seat, it never really dawned on me to play around with the car seat before we went to the hospital. So there we stood outside the hospital trying to figure out how this thing works. Once we had him strapped in and in the car his head kept falling forward. This concerned me, Dh went in to ask the receptionist if anyone was available to help us. Turns out once you have checked out you are no longer their problem. So the answer was no. We went to two different police stations for help but of course the officers that do care seat safety were not on duty today. So we very carefully drove home with me holding his head up the whole time. As we pulled up to the house I saw the sign in our front yard announcing the birth of our baby boy. I squealed and said to Dh where did you get it!!! He then told me that he made it, he had been working on it for weeks. Tears began to run down my face as I looked at my house with a sign that my wonderful Dh had built just for our baby. The baby we have dreamed about for so long.

I was so excited to be home and to see my baby girl Bailey. I missed her so much and had so much guilt about bringing a new baby home. I know it's crazy that I was so worried about how my dog would react and worried that bringing him home was going to turn her world upside down but I really was. I cried so hard as I said goodbye to her when we left for the hospital on Wednesday. I knew her life was about to be forever changed. I left the baby in the car with Dh while I went in to see my girl. She was so excited to see me, and then she started sniffing me. I think she could sense something was up. She could smell something about me was different. I told Dh we were ready and he carried him. She was so curious. Looking in the car seat, sniffing him like crazy. She seemed a little scared of him when he moved. Then she began to pass and pant, and kiss him crazily. She was stressed. I know that we have not done all we should have to prepare her for this, and now she is the one paying for it. Dh took her for a walk while I nursed Jack, she seemed just as stressed when she came back and saw he was still here. I am so worried about her. I know she will adjust but it breaks my heart to see her like this.

Overall our first day home went pretty well. I spent most of the day nursing Jack, and catching up on Facebook, email, and the Nest.

I am sitting here looking at him now and still can't believe he is here, that he is mine. I am the happiest I have ever been. Just 5 days ago we became a family, today our house became a home.

No comments: